If you live in a rural area without access to the municipal wastewater system, you probably have a septic tank. You may have heard advice about pouring this or that down your drain to help the septic tank run smoothly, but as it turns out, it’s more important to avoid putting certain things down the drain rather than chasing them with additives to limit their effect on your septic system.
One example is chemical household cleaners. If you bleach the counters, wipe the surface with a rag, and then rinse that rag in the sink, this powerful cleaner that kills mold, mildew, and germs also destroy the beneficial bacteria in your septic tank. This slows down the vital decomposition process that must take place to keep the system flowing smoothly and prevent backups.
Essential Oils for Septic Safe Cleaning
The trick to protecting your septic system while still keeping your home sanitary is to use natural essential oils for household cleaning. Here are the best oils for deodorizing and disinfecting a variety of surfaces in your home:
- Lemon essential oil: This is one of the most versatile essential oils used for household cleaning. Use it to disinfect wood cutting boards, polish stainless steel, remove undesirable odors from clothes, and even lift carpet stains.
- Tea tree essential oil: Dilute one teaspoon of tea tree essential oil with one cup of water in a spray bottle. Use this mixture to kill mold, mildew, viruses, and bacteria in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Wild orange essential oil: Clean countertops, floors, or wood cabinet doors with wild orange essential oil diluted with water in a spray bottle or bucket.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: This multipurpose oil is effective for killing germs, eliminating dust mites, and freshening your clothes when added to your regular laundry detergent (which you should use less of if you have a septic tank).
- Lavender essential oil: This antibacterial essential oil is ideal for helping you scrub dishes and do laundry without chemicals.
- Pine essential oil: Make your home smell like a forest while killing germs, E. coli, mold, and Pine essential oil is especially useful for cleaning dirty floors.
- Thieves essential oil blend: The fresh and inviting scent of Thieves Household Cleaner from Young Living gives you a deep clean without chemicals. It contains clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus radiata, and rosemary for a spicy, uplifting aroma that cleans just about every surface in your home. To make an all-purpose cleaner from this oil blend, simply combine a capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with two to three cups of water in a spray bottle.
If you are in need of septic tank pumping, grease trap cleaning, or any other waste disposal service, contact A-1 Septic Tank Service online or call us at 510-886-4455 to schedule service for your home or business.